Friday, October 10, 2008

darjeeling black tea. [autumnal elegance]

After a wonderful night of dinner, dessert, and great company--Laura came over for dinner and brought with her an delectable chocolate peppermint torte--I read a bit before going to bed, and was inclined to sleep in this morning. When I woke up, Cael was ever so ready to go on his morning walk, tail wagging, constant whining and all. I threw on my favorite blue hoodie, my black sambas, got Cael leashed up and headed out the door.
As soon as I took a few steps outside I knew this morning was different. I continued walking, letting Cael do his thing, then usually I would turn back for home as soon as he was finished. But this morning lured me on to continue walking, the crispness in the air, the vibrant colors on the trees, and the ever thicker carpet of yellows, reds, and browns enlightened my mind to the fact that it was now undeniably autumn. The toughest wildflowers were still hanging on, but even they cannot last much longer, their springy pinks and purples no match for autumn's gold, scarlet, and sweet orange. As Cael and I walked, protected by the still intact canopy of the trees, the chill was nipping but not biting yet, still a small puppy waiting to be full grown with the coming of winter. The mist was covering the mountains again, giving way to yet another contented sigh from me as we walked on. The wind, by and by, would ripple through the trees and they would lean in toward each other as if telling great secrets only they can understand, precipitating a new array of color to rain down to the ground, adding to the beautiful autumnal mantle through which I continued to walk. We walked for the better part of an hour, smelling, hearing, seeing, and even tasting the lovely weather with the coming and going of the breeze, always having something else riveting to catch the eye. We turned for home, enjoying the last few paces of our walk and the wind prompted the trees to again begin whispering and leaning in toward each other, I couldn't understand their cryptic language, but I'd like to think they were calling to me, telling me to return again soon to enjoy their protective canopy, and delight in their resonant colors once more.

Enraptured by Autumn,

Caitlin

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yay--I'm great company. :) I'm glad you guys enjoyed the torte. I still have way too much left (though maybe I should save some for my parents). And I love that phrase--the "cryptic language" of the trees. So true. Beautifully true.

    In other news, today I bought North and South on DVD, so you and Chelsea and I are definitely having a movie night to watch that. And Newsies. And whatever else we can think of. Most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how beautiful....
    I'm home from the beach so we should all get together tomorrow and watch movies and drink tea and watch movies and drink tea and watch movies....

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( I can't today. We have church, then lunch with my aunt, then we're going to carve the three pumpkins Jeremy brought home the other day. We should do it next weekend perhaps?

    ReplyDelete