Saturday, June 9, 2012

crafty happenings.

Most of you know that Jeremy and I recently moved into a new house in Black Mountain. It's the first house (not apartment, flat, or in-law suite) that we've ever lived in together, and though we don't own it, it is still a huge step to that eventual end.
Of course, with a new place, comes new crafty projects (thanks to the help of Pinterest!) and new interior design elements. It has unfortunately taken me much longer than I would have preferred--due to numerous reasons--to really get the house to a point where I feel okay having people over (but only in certain rooms, we are still far from finished moving in). But! This last week has seen the fruition of a number of projects that have been rolling about in my mind since even before we moved in. Today, I'll share them with you.

Finished last week: I've been planning this one since about January or before, but wasn't able to get it finished. My idea was to create a huge photo canvas of one of my favorite photos that I took during our time in Edinburgh. I bought a 24x36 wrapped canvas a couple months ago, and finally last month was able to purchase the 24x36 print that I wanted. The print itself was remarkably cheap, only $9.99 at vivyxprinting.com. They were running a special for first-time customers: a 24x36 print for ten bucks, it's like it was meant to be. :) So I painted the edges of the canvas, like so:
















Then used spray adhesive to mount the print to the canvas. Admittedly, it's not a good as I want it to be, I'll have to research better procedures because the print ripples a little bit--which is only noticeable in certain light at certain angles, but I'd rather have it perfect. But here's how it turned out:





I also have been brain-storming a cheap but creative way to display/organize my jewelry, and thanks to the burlap given to me in an adorable gift basket from my close friend,  Kelsey Keil, I was able to simply wrap 11x14 canvases with burlap and hot glue to make this little babies:

























Below the canvases, I simply nailed three small nails into the wall for the necklace hanging. Voila! It was so simple.
































This one is another one I've been thinking about for a while, and I originally got the idea from Pinterest. It's a wrapped canvas, painted green, then painted vintage white. I used sticker letters on the white coat, then painted a grey coat over it, let it dry, then peeled the stickers off. The last line was written using a paint pen. After everything was finished, I sprayed a coat of ModPodge finishing spray over the whole thing for continuity.





































And there you have it, my creative endeavors of late. I've also been able to alter a pair of ill-fitting dress pants as well, and I've plans in the works for some summery dresses too!

1 comment:

  1. Cael in the mirror!! Love all this. I cant wait to have a house one day.

    ReplyDelete