Wednesday, April 13, 2011

the spring has returned.

I meant to write on these things soon after I got back from experiencing them, but time, it seems, never ceases to find ways to elude me and my intentions. It was this past Sunday that I finally was able to get out and enjoy what spring has brought to this city. I've been feeling it, knowing it was here for a few days, maybe a week, but I hadn't gotten the opportunity to go out and give it its due attentions. But Sunday, Sunday is a day a rest, and it was resting in the beauty and warmth that had been bestowed finally upon us here in Scotland that I intended to take advantage of. I donned a skirt, easily removable shoes, and a sleeveless shirt, as well as packing the essentials: moleskin notebook, pen, book, and music-listening device, blanket, and food and water, of course, then I trekked down to Holyrood Park and its extensive green spaces, gorgeous views, and sun-warmed patches of earth. I spread out my blanket on an appropriately unoccupied, perfectly balanced spot of shade and sun, and basked in the glory of the return of the prodigal spring. The spring cursed for leaving us once summer's warmth encroaches a little too heatedly and then again when autumn's crisp nip becomes a vicious bite with winter's arrival. But finally, that which was lost is again found and the rejoicing becomes that much sweeter for its absence and the extremes borne in that absence. I read, I wrote, and I simply reveled in the symphony of sunshine on my skin as I listened to whimsical music fit for an afternoon of such revelry. I occupied my little patch of gold for an hour or two then retired and left the spot for someone else to enjoy. With the sun still warming my face and skin, I walked the extra few minutes out of my way for the perfect finish to the first springtime frolic, a proper Mr. Whippy ice cream cone. I returned home refreshed and with a new array of very lightly evidenced freckles, not to mention on smile on my face and a satisfied sigh in my heart.


My little patch of golden springtime.

The first time these have been used this year.

The essentials.

Hoping for just a little color...
The perfect end to a perfect revelry.


Welcome back spring time! You've been missed.


Caitlin

6 comments:

  1. Well said, as always. Remember the day we spent, much like this, together at Biltmore? All things, thoughts, and days make me miss you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and have I ever told you that I almost always use your latest nature photo as my desktop background on my work computer? The green grass and spring mountains remind me of you alllllll day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seeing your journal pic really made me miss your handwriting. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! love spring, love sun, love green, love ice cream, love skirts, love barefeet and blankets...love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect tribute to the start of a beautiful spring!

    ReplyDelete