Friday, March 19, 2010

make a week of it.

It's turned out that our St. Patrick's Day festivities have occurred more over a St. Patrick's Day week. We bought a twelve pack of Smithwick's Irish Ale and enjoyed some on Monday evening. The night before the 17th, Jeremy and I drove down to Hickory to the Taproom, a wonderfully oaken pub, to hear The Belfast Boys play some traditional Irish music and have a few pints. That was a wonderful night full of good company, good beer, and heart-rending music. There is just something about Irish (and Scottish) music that stirs my very core. It's enchanting in a very literal sense of the word, it captivates my senses and imparts an otherworldly essence to surround me--it changes me. It was wonderful to see Alan play again, and brilliant to finally see Adrian play with him as well. The were, not surprisingly, fantastic.
St. Paddy's Day itself was a little more low key, I worked both my jobs, proudly sporting some green earrings and a Celtic knotwork hair clip. Thursday was another low-key day of working for both Jeremy and me, but that evening we went to the store to purchase the necessities of what would come the next morning, which included a pack of Guinness. This morning I cooked us up an Ulster Fry, complete with potato bread, streaky bacon, tomatoes, and Heinz 57 beans, among other things. It was delicious, but very filling, and more than a little hard on the arteries I'm sure.
Tonight, Jeremy and I are headed the the Diana Wortham theatre to see Battlefield Band, a Scottish band that plays traditional music as well as new self-penned music as well, on a variety of instruments traditional and non. I won free tickets at Biltmore to the show tonight, and we're looking forward to it.
Considering, due to various circumstances, that this has been Jeremy and my first St. Patrick's Day together, I think it's turned out quite nicely.

On another note, I recently altered an old vintage peacoat that was my grandmother's to fit me. I took in the sleeves and the body of the coat, as well as put on twelve new buttons. Here's the finished product. (I unfortunately did not have the foresight to snap a 'before' photo, but oh well.)

3 comments:

  1. zomg that coat is so fantastic. I showed my mum and she was quite impressed.
    Now, I *am* rather glad after all that I didn't try to get myself invited to the Ulster fry... That plate of food looks astonishingly yums, but also .... its chuge. Kudos to you guys for your discretion regarding my wee capacities :)
    I'm glad you and Jer got the St Paddy's together. I recall last year, and it was very nice indeed, but Jeremy was much missed. He had been in SC for about 4 weeks then, hadn't he?
    Mum is still set on you coming to contribute your skills to my dress... let's find an evening and I'll drive us down there, and we can listen to fine music and be creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna eat that meal so badly. And I wish I had the ability to alter clothes like this. It's fabulous!

    http://senseofstyleiseternal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coat looks fab and so does the food! Brings back memories of our trip to Ireland- that was so fun!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete