Monday, January 24, 2011

whispers.

These are verses of a hymn sung yesterday at Greyfriars Tolbooth and Highland Kirk. All the words struck me like a gale of westerly wind on an open plain, but these two verses especially. I thought some of my readers would appreciate them as much as I did.

Lord, you sometimes speak in whispers,
still and small and scarcely heard;
only those who want to listen
catch the all important word.

Lord, you sometimes speak in silence,
Through our loud and noisy day;
we can know and trust you better
when we quietly wait and pray.


For those who wish to look up all the words, it was written by Christopher Martin Idle in 1938, and the title is the first line of the hymn, Lord, you sometimes speak in wonders.

Quietly listening,

Caitlin

1 comment:

  1. I have just caught up on your last few postings. This one really spoke to me as I have been learning meditation to quiet my busy mind. God's words come through so clearly when your mind is quiet. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete